TECI is funded by Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) International Observatory, which significantly reduces costs of attending the workshop. In addition, TECI works with TMT partners to identify funding sources that will cover travel expenses. Below is an itemized list of approximate costs, and whether they are covered by TECI or must be covered by workshop participants. Amounts are in Canadian dollars (CAD) and U.S. dollars (USD).
INSTRUCTIONAL FEE: The instructional fee to participate in the TECI workshop is USD $3,000. All participants accepted to TECI are provided fee waivers (do not pay the fee) because this fee is paid by the TMT Project Office in Pasadena, CA using TIO cash funds. The TECI instructional fee includes all costs of developing and managing TECI, and onsite workshop costs including lunches during workshop, poster reception, final dinner, and field trips.
TRAVEL: TECI is able to offer travel awards for a limited number of participants. In some cases we may prioritize applicants who can cover these costs on their own. Funds for airfare are greatly limited and applicants able to support their own airfare costs will be given a higher priority if necessary. Victoria International Airport (YYJ) is the closest airport to the workshop hotel. Some itineraries to YYJ have a connecting flight in Vancouver (YVR).
- Air travel: each applicant should estimate the cost of air travel from their home airport to Victoria International Airport YYJ.
- Lodging in Victoria in the Inn at Laurel Point: CAD $980 / US $742 (8 nights double occupancy, arriving May 25 and checking out June 2). An additional night for arrival on May 24 is available to accommodate long travel times and adequate rest time prior to workshop for CAD $122 / USD $92
MEALS AND INCIDENTALS: TECI will not support the following costs, all participants must cover these on their own. The total estimated cost of meals and incidentals listed below is CAD $530 / USD $400.
- Ground transportation to/from airport of origination (in home city)
- Round-trip ground transportation between Victoria International Airport and the Inn at Laurel Point, which participants are expected to book individually.
- Meals and incidentals outside of workshop lunches. The total estimate above includes all meals from May 24 through June 2, except lunches supplied by TECI May 26-29 and May 31-June 1.
- Passport and visa fees: each applicant should determine the fees of any passport or visa they require to enter Canada.
Note on our estimate above for local costs: Hotel rooms will have mini-refrigerators and a microwave oven is available in the hotel snack shop. We are hoping that participants can keep costs for meals not provided by the conference reasonably low, and far below the US Federal maximum per diem rate of US$125/day for meals and incidentals. We have made our best estimate of the cost of out of conference meals based on the availability of mini-refrigerators in hotel rooms, and that we will provide healthy snacks throughout the workshop, along with a hearty lunch. The total cost for meals not provided by the conference can vary widely depending upon the meals chosen by participants, so please keep in mind that we present our best guess.
$USD to $CAD conversions can be calculated using the UCSC-approved currency converter. The estimates above are based on a rate of $1.32 CAD per $1 USD, from October 2019.
Please indicate what level of travel support you would require from TECI in order to attend the workshop.
NO TRAVEL AWARD: you are able to cover the costs of your lodging, airfare, ground transportation, and meals
STANDARD TRAVEL AWARD: you are able to cover the cost of your airfare, ground transportation, and meals; TECI covers lodging at the Inn at Laurel Point
MAXIMUM TRAVEL AWARD: TECI covers lodging at the Inn at Laurel Point and airfare to Victoria YYJ
Further information on approximate costs, as well as information on contacting individual TMT partners for travel support, is here.