Exploring Santa Cruz during the TMT Future Leaders Workshop
While you are here in Santa Cruz, we would like to arrange some opportunities for you to explore the area. We will update frequently as volunteers and events arise. Please also stay in touch via Twitter with the hashtag #TMTFutureLeaders to see the latest events and even post your own events!
Monday, August 21 Events
- Partial (~78%) Solar Eclipse Viewing!
UC Santa Cruz is hosting an eclipse-viewing event on the East Field (opposite side of campus from Porter College), starting at 10:00am.
- 4:00pm: UC Santa Cruz Campus Walk
UC Santa Cruz’ campus is renowned for its beauty, with buildings set in meadows and redwood forest, and bridges and dirt trails cutting through deeper sections of forest. Lisa Hunter will be in front of Porter College F at 4:00pm for a 30-minute walk around UCSC campus for those interested.
Tuesday morning, August 22
- 7:30am Breakfast & Check-in: Austin Barnes will meet at 7:30am in front of Porter Apartment F to meet participants and walk over to the dining hall for breakfast (starts at 7:45am) and direct those who still need to check in at the Rachel Carson Dining Hall.
Evening Events During Workshop
Tuesday, August 22
Wednesday, August 23
Thursday, August 24
- West Cliff Dr. walk to lighthouse. After dinner, participants and instructors who want to walk by the ocean can board the Route 19 bus across the street from Porter College (going uphill) at 6:40 p.m. The bus fare is $2. After leaving UCSC’s campus, the bus will go down Bay St. Get off the bus at the very end of Bay St., where it meets West Cliff Drive (in front of a hotel called the Dream Inn). Nicole Mattacola and Asher Wasserman will be waiting at Bay & West Cliff to lead a walk along the waterfront, toward a lighthouse that overlooks one of Santa Cruz’ most popular surfing spots. There have been a few humpback whale sightings recently, so keep a lookout for them or for other wildlife. Buses returning to UCSC pick up at Bay & West Cliff at 8:20 and 10:20 p.m.
Friday, August 25
- Free evening concert on the beach, by the Santa Cruz boardwalk. The 1990s band Smash Mouth will perform an outdoor concert at 6:30 p.m. and another set at 8:30 p.m. The boardwalk area is one of Santa Cruz’ main tourist destinations, with roller coasters, food vendors, and other entertainment. Several bus routes from UCSC stop at Bay St. and Mission St. (30 minutes walk to boardwalk), and/or the downtown metro center (20 minutes walk to boardwalk). The downtown area surrounding the metro center is also where a lot of Santa Cruz’ nightlife is concentrated.
Weekend Events – Saturday and Sunday August 26 & 27
Saturday, August 26
Sunday, August 27